Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Where there's smoke......

Wildfire Season has Arrived.

The Front Range has been in the national news the last two days because of wildfires that have broken out.  One is northeast of Colorado Springs (south of me).  It has burned a number of homes and displaced lots of people.  Yesterday afternoon it occurred to me that I might be able to see the smoke plume.  Indeed it was very visible from my balcony.  This afternoon I couldn't see it, but that was because the wind had shifted and the plume was now over us.  I walked out the door to get the mail and experienced the unmistakable odor of fire.  This is definitely not something we experience in Iowa.  There is also a fire by the Royal Gorge and on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park.  Those who have visited the Royal Gorge will be relieved to know that the bridge was not damaged although a couple of visitor buildings were destroyed.


The smoke plume as viewed from my balcony.

A Great Hike or Mountain Lions, Black Bears and Rattlesnakes?

This morning I went to Roxborough State Park southwest of Denver to hike and enjoy the great Colorado outdoors.  The scenery was absolutely breathtaking.  I hiked for about 2 hours through the park.  The paths I was on were labeled easy and moderate, but I was certainly wiped out when I got back to the parking lot.  I truly questioned my choice to hike when I saw the signs announcing that I was in Rattlesnake Country!  And the information board described what to do if a hiker encountered a mountain lion or a black bear!!!  But the beauty and the challenge overcame the trepidation.  I'm happy to say that the only wildlife I encountered were grasshoppers, crickets, butterflies, and a lone deer.



 Amazing outcroppings and scenery


The house at the end of the path.  Unfortunately it is only open one Sunday afternoon a month, but I could peak through the windows.


 The path went through scrub oaks.  The shade was very refreshing.


This deer (look closely) was the only large wild life I saw -- thankfully!


  
The flowers are already blooming!!


But It's a Dry Heat?

Denver set high temperature records the past two days!!!  Yes the humidity is only at 10% or so, but honestly 100 degrees is stinking HOT with or without humidity.  I'm so thankful for air conditioning.

Discoveries...

I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the area and am happy to announce the following discoveries.

a sidewalk mailbox (to send letters to Iowa)
The Aurora Public Library (for which I now have a library card)
Barnes & Noble (just down the street from the library)
Cold Stone (across from B&N)
BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse (my gluten free family will appreciate that one)
a cute little knitting/quilt shop

Meanwhile, the job search continues without anything significant to report.  Hope all is well with all of you.  Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment